Sunday, July 26, 2009

Call me a critic.....

Tomorrow marks the day that I turn 22 years old... or as my dear friend Beth reminded me... half way to 44. Crap. You know what reminds me of how old I feel like I am getting? I use phrases like dear friend. I also gave my Grandpa a Hig five for making it past 9:00. It was a big moment for the both of us.

I have read 3 books and seen 4 movies in the last week and a half, now time for the reviews:

Books:

"Take One"- Karen Kingsbury: Anyone who knows me will know, just from seeing the author, that I will give it a two thumbs up. I read it in about a day and a half, with pauses of course (hooked on phonics worked for me, its okay). I should note, it is different then most of her books which I have read. A little less romantic, which means I officially made it through a Karen Kingsbry book without shedding one tear. If I were a girl scout, that would earn a badge.

"Swan House"- Elizabeth Musser: Another real solid read. Kind of slow getting started, but for once in my life, I did not predict the ending. I liked that. The book takes place in the 1960's, third on my list of "Era's in which I wish I was born." It was a mystery, love story, history lesson all in one. Big fan. High reccommendations.

"My sisters Keeper"- Jodi Picoult: Incredibly let down to be honest. I mean, don't get me wrong, good story, compelling topic, and I won't ruin the ending but... COME ON. Coulda done better work Jodes. I'd give it 2 outta 4.5 stars.

Movies:

Paul Blart- Mall Cop: As dumb as it sounds. One of those movies where it was a good thing I was up late. Ok, yeah it got a few laughs out of me... but on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 4.23... and that is late at night.

The Ugly Truth- If you have a dirty mind, you will love it. Some of you may assume I must have loved it... because lets be honest, for going to the N dubb C... my mind is in the gutter quite often... however because of the morals and values bestowed upon my by the college who is experiencing "theological drift," I found a lot of the movie kind of disgusting. It did however put the desire to experience a hot air ballon ride in my heart... maybe i should have seen Up.

Harry Potter 6- No progress, I was left hanging on EVERYTHING. Good thing I know what happens or I might be like that kid in Germany who was so shocked that Headmaster "DD" died in this one that he decided life just wasn't worth living....(can i say that on a blog?)... you do the math folks.

Saved- Oldie but a Goodie. I felt slightly Sacreligous watching it, but then I thought about if that was really how some people view Christians, then we, as a body of Christ, are doing something wrong. I know its a fairly controversial movie for Christians, but I wouldd encourage any Christian to watch it. If not to challenge us, then to see Mandy Moore drive into a Giant Jesus, or to see McCulley Culkin. Yeah thats right, he has made it big time since Home Alone.

Although it may not seem like I have had a life over the last week and a half, it was because I had the time to enjoy a peaceful week off. I think God we being nice and preparing me for not only one of the most full weeks of my summer (27th-31st) but also some big time "rock my world" moments and prayers that have happend in the last few days. God is a good dude, I'm a big fan of what he has done in my life this summer.

Verse: Matthew 11:28-30; Psalm 25

Song of the Moment: For the Moments I feel Faint- Relient K

No comments:

Post a Comment